SCOTT, Kenneth Richard

267155 Private of the 5th Canadian Battalion (Saskatchewan Regiment)


5th October 1897.
The youngest of four brothers, sons of the late Prebendary Percy Richard Scott (decd), late Rector of St. Peter’s Tiverton.


Blundell's School “Day Boy” from 11 years old; May 1909 – Easter 1913.


On leaving school he went to Canada to take up farming but enlisted at the beginning of the war.
He attested at Wadena Saskatchewan, Canada into the 214th Overseas Bn. Canadian Expeditionary Force.


Kenneth Scott enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary force in Saskatchewan, Canada on 7th February 1916 when he was 18yrs 6 months old. He was described as being 5’7½” tall, having a 36” chest, blue eyes, brown hair and fair complexion. He had a scar on his abdomen but was otherwise physically fit for service. He gave his profession as Farmer, his address as Leslie, Saskatchewan and was a member of the Church of England. His brother, Stanley Scott of The Vicarage, South Moulton, Devon, was named as his next of kin.

Trench Diaries

The 5th Canadian Bn. (Western Cavalry) Saskatchewan regiment had already spent some weeks in the Arras area by August 1918.

  • 22nd August: at Wiencourt, Amiens. The weather was warm and bright. The battalion arrived at its destination at 1am, BHQ being established at the Chateau in the village while Companies and transport bivouacked in the open fields in the south. Clothing parade was held and a barber requisitioned.  The battalion had hardly settled for the night when orders were received to proceed immediately to the Centelies Area.  The move was completed before daybreak and the company billeted in orchards and fields adjacent to the village.
  • 23rd August: After a few hours the battalion were issued with instructions to march to Saleux-Salonel overnight.
  • 24th August: Cheerful but tired after the 17-km march the battalion arrived at 3.30am in Saleux; they were billed in a huge building that was formerly a rope factory.
  • 25th August: Battalions given orders to proceed by train from Bacouel station.  Marched 4½k to the station. Detrained at Savy on the Arras / St. Pol Road, from there to Anzin arriving at 3 am.
  • 27th August: In the afternoon orders arrived to proceed to Arras.  Marched off down Anzin- St. Cahterine road, settled into billets at Arras by 10.30pm.
  • 28th August: Orders for battalion to move into battle positons, moved off at 7pm in full marching order at about 1km west of of Vis-en-Artois reaching Feuchy Chapel at 8pm and moved along support lines.
  • 29th August: After a long march arrived at allotted positions, 3 men wounded by shells.  Enemy well entrenched.
  • 30th August: Weather unsettled.  Attacked lines to the front approx - 2000 yards encountered practically no opposition, then two Germans came forward in surrender and eight more followed them.
  • 31st August. Weather warm and bright. Battalion carried out small local operations in which forty of the enemy gave themselves up but in the afternoon shells struck a transport wagon killing 2 mules and injuring two men.
  • 1st September 1916: Weather fine. 4.35am: Companies in position in the jumping-off trench. The ground to be advanced over mostly of an open nature, rolling away in long ridges dotted with an occasional wood. At 4.50am a covering barrage set up and A Comp. of the battalion went over.  They were met by devastating fire from enemy machine gun posts and redoubts. Casualties occurred rapidly but between A and B Comp.s the redoubt at Hendicourt-les-Gagnicourt was overrun allowing trenches near the road to be taken. However, these trenches were beset with booby traps and by the time the objective was secured the Comp. was reduced to 20 men. The enemy artillery was active and the battalion were subjected to heavy fire. At midday a report was received that the enemy were counter attacking and reinforcements were needed.  B Company moved to their assistance and with the support of the field guns the enemy was forced to retire and by 2pm things had quietened down considerably.  Estimated casualties were 80 officers and 225 other ranks.


1st September 1918, aged 20.
He was killed in action at Hendicourt-les-Gagnicourt near Arras in France.


Grave A3
Upton Wood Cemetery, Hendecourt-les-Gagnicourt.


Upton Wood Military Cemetery was formed just south of the wood immediately after the battles for the wood in August 1918 by the first Canadian division, to bury their dead. It is 16km south east of Arras, 4km south of the Arras Cambrai road.  It was not extended after the armistice but the memorial there was designed by G H Goldsmith.


Commonwealth War Graves Commission - Scott, K R
The Blundellian
The Canadian Archives, Scott, Kenneth Richard
- Attestation: RG 150 1992-93/166 Box 8729-5
- War diaries: RG 9 Series III-D-3 Vol. 4916 Reel T-10798 File 364
Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France (2004) Commonwealth War Graves Commission. 24/575 or 26/575
“British battalions on the Somme” WESTLAKE, R. (2004) Pen and Sword
Field visit (JEA & GRY)


[ back to previous page ]