MAGOR, Arthur Curgenven

Magor, ACCaptain 3rd Bn. Attached 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regiment

Born

3rd March 1879.
Son of Edward Auriol Magor (decd) and Mary Caroline of Lamellen, St. Tudy, Bodmin, Cornwall.

Education

Blundell’s School, “Petergate”, from May 1893 when he was 14, to Summer 1897. He gained his 2nd XI colours in the Autumn of 1896 and won the Tennis challenge cup in 1896 with A.W. Squirl as his partner. He was a house monitor for three terms.

The Offensive

The Salient was formed during the First Battle of Ypres in October and November 1914. The Second Battle of Ypres began in April 1915 when the Germans released poison gas into the Allied lines north of Ypres. This was the first time gas had been used by either side and the violence of the attack forced an Allied withdrawal and a shortening of the line of defence. There was little more significant activity on this front until 1917, when in the Third Battle of Ypres an offensive was mounted by Commonwealth forces to divert German attention from a weakened French front further south. The initial attempt in June to dislodge the Germans from the Messines Ridge was a complete success, but the main assault north-eastward, which began at the end of July, quickly became a dogged struggle against determined opposition and the rapidly deteriorating weather. The campaign finally came to a close in November with the capture of Passchendaele.

Death

17 October 1914, aged 35.
Killed in action during one of the battles on the Oise.

Burial/Commemoration

Captain Magor has no known grave so is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium, (Flanders). Pane; 53.

Memorial

The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town on the road, astride the main Menin to Courtrai (Kortrijk) Road. This site was chosen because of the hundreds of thousands of men who passed through it on their way to the battlefields. It commemorates those of all Commonwealth nations (except New Zealand) who died in the Salient, in the case of United Kingdom casualties before 16 August 1917, and now bears the names of more than 54,000 officers and men whose graves are not known. The memorial was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield with sculpture by Sir William Reid-Dick, and unveiled by Lord Plumer in July 1927.

Each night at 8 pm the traffic through the gate is stopped while members of the local Fire Brigade sound the Last Post in the roadway under the Memorial's arches. Nearby the Cloth Hall Museum has an excellent interpretation centre but apparently no research facility.

Research

Commonwealth War Graves Commission - www.cwgc.org
Public Record Office, National Archives, Kew Medal Roll WO 372/13
“The Register of Blundell's School, Part II 1882 – 1932” (1932) MAHOOD, A.S., Ed. Entry No.4304
“The Blundellian”
Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France (2004) Commonwealth War Graves Commission. 5/58
Field visit (JEA & GRY 11.04.2005)

 

[ back to previous page ]