KNOWLES, Richard Cameron

Knowles, RCLieutenant, 114th Coy., Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)


November 1897.
Son of the Reverend Camerson Quilter Knowles and Mary Alice, of the Retreat, Milverton, Somerset.


Blundell’s School, “Old House” from the age of 13.
September 1910 – Summer 1914.
He was School Monitor and the Head of Old House 1914; OTC 1910 – 1914 during which time he went to camp in 1912, 13 and 14 was made up to Sergeant. Played in the first XV, 1st XI and in the hockey XI in 1914.


He was not intended to join the army but was in the Classical Sixth when the war broke out. He left school in the middle of Christmas term and joined a battalion with his friend Littleton-Geach in the 5th South Wales Borderers. He was later attached to the Machine Gun Corps and posted to the Somme. His parents wrote to the Blundellian that “Blundell’s may be proud of him, as we are”.


10 July 1916, Somme.
His superior officer wrote of him “He was one of our best officers; always most pleasant and greatly liked by officers and men; he died while leading his men into battle on one of the most severe fights we have yet encountered.”


Lt. Knowles has no known grave so is commemorated on Theipval Memorial, Theipval,  Somme, Pillars 5 and 12, face C.


Theipval Memorial is on the D73, off the Main Bapaume to Albert (D929). The Memorial, 150 feet high, was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and can be seen from many of the battle sites in the surrounding area. It has sixteen piers on whose faces the names of all the men who have no known grave, is inscribed. An excellent interpretation centre has been built nearby with research facilities and an “on line” memorial to the missing which contains much valuable information.


Commonwealth War Graves Commission -
Blundellian, July 1916, p 247
The National Archives, Kew. WO 339/2635
The Register of Blundell's School, Part II 1882 – 1932” (1932) MAHOOD, A.S., Ed. Entry No. 5415
Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France (2004) Commonwealth War Graves Commission. 25/490
Field visit (JEA & GRY 28/7/2006)


[ back to previous page ]