HININGS, Frederick William Crowther

Hinings, FWCCaptain 3rd Bn., attd. 1st Bn., East Yorkshire Regiment.

Born

5th December 1887.
Younger son of Dr. J. W. Hinings of Hyde Park, Leeds, Born in Bromyard, Hereford.

Education

Blundell's School, “North Close”, 1900 – 1906. He was captain of cricket in 1905 and 1906. He was remembered at Blundell’s as a fine cricketer and football player. The Blundellian referred to him as “The Genial Giant” and in Nov 1916, recalled, “[he] is best remembered for his striking figure on the football field and his vigorous batting; these and his kindly unassuming disposition endeared him to us all. No more generally beloved young fellow ever left Leeds than this ruddy-headed giant; he stood well over 6ft high and must have weighed between 13st and 14st.” He passed Matriculation examination of University of Durham College of Perceptors.

Sporting Career

He played Rugby (back) for Yorkshire and was a Captain of Headingley in 1908, playing also that year with the Barbarians.

Service

He went to work in the Malay states, planting rubber at Selangor. On the 21st November 1910 he joined the Malay States Volunteer rifles and attained the rank of L/Cpl. He was discharged on 29th September 1914, having resigned in order to that he could proceed to England to Volunteer for active service. He applied to 3rd East Yorkshires (Special Reserve) on 6th November 1914 but was commissioned into the East Yorkshires. He went to the front in 1915, and on 5th May 1915, whilst serving near Ypres, he received severe shrapnel wounds. Discharged from his unit and transported to Bologne, he travelled to Dover on the hospital ship “Patrick” arriving on 7th May. He had initial operations which were not entirely successful. On 25th May a letter to the Blundellian written “at his request” states “His wounds are healing nicely but he has had an awful time of it. He was wounded by shrapnel in two places on his arm (in the upper arm a piece of shrapnel went through into his side), right side of the abdomen, and also right thigh. He also came in for some of that awful gas. Since he arrived at the hospital in London he has had pneumonia, pleurisy and also a touch of malaria. At present his right arm is paralised. As soon as he is well enough they are going to operate and remove a piece of shrapnel which is still in the forearm. He is wonderfully cheery and so amusing in spite of the pain and talks of ‘when he goes back…’ ” On 10th July 1915 he required another operation from which he took some time to recover. He was sent to convalesce at Lady Evelyn Mason’s Hospital for Officers, 16, Bruton Street, West London but on the 22nd July he wrote to the War office that he intended proceeding to North Close, Tiverton. The Blundellian recorded this visit to Blundell’s where he was noted to be “huger and more genial than ever”. He was still unable to use his right arm but was able to coach NC to victory on the Rugby field. He did not return to the front until 21st August 1915 and even then he was seriously restricted in the use of his right hand. He was promoted captain on 9th April 1916 and was wounded a further three times. 

Hinings, FWCTrench Diaries

The 1st Bn. East Yorkshire Regiment were part of 64th Brigade, 21st Division. In July the battalion attacked Fricourt in support of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and advanced on 1st July under heavy machine gun fire but succeeded in taking Crucifix Trench and Sunken Road. However, due to heavy casualties further advance was not possible. Later that month they saw action near Dernacourt, Mametz Wood and on 17th July reinforced 7th Leicestershires on the north edge of Bazentin-la-Petit Wood which was taken with little resistance from the Germans but heavy losses from own artillery. On 21st July the division was sent by train to St. Pol where they remained until 13th September. Returning then to Fricourt Camp and then on to Pommiers redoubt from which an attack on Guendecourt was launched on the 16th September, they remained in this area and positions just south of Longueval until 22nd September. On 24th September they assembled just north of Fleurs and led an attack with the KOYLI on Guendecourt, advancing at 12.35pm towards Gird trench where they found the enemy’s wire still to be intact despite the British Bombardment. They took cover in shell holes and at night the surviving 5 officers and 118 men withdrew to Switch Trench.

Death

25th September 1916 near Gendecourt, Somme, aged 29.
He died intestate as a bachelor and so in 1917 his father obtained Probate regarding his assets which amounted to:
1 Webley pistol in a case
1 pair binoculars
1 Field Notebook
1 case of 2 pipes
1 Cigarette case
1 pocket book containing letters and papers
1 Motor Licence
1 waterproof cover
1 Leather case
£7 – 7s in cash
He also had assets to the value £278-2-8

Burial/Commemoration

Captain Hinings has no known grave so is commemorated on Theipval Memorial, Theipval, Somme, Pillar, face C.

Memorial

Theipval Memorial is on the D73, off the Main Bapaume to Albert (D929).
The Memorial, 150 feet high, was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and can be seen from many of the battle sites in the surrounding area. It has sixteen piers on whose faces the names of all the men who have no known grave, is inscribed. An excellent interpretation centre has been built nearby with research facilities and an “on line” memorial to the missing which contains much valuable information.

Research

Commonwealth War Graves Commission - www.cwgc.org
“The Blundellian” June 1915 p172, July 1915 p185  November 1916 p258.
The National Archives, Public Record Office. Kew WO 339/30070
Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France (2004) Commonwealth War Graves Commission. 25/490
“British battalions on the Somme” WESTLAKE, R. (2004) Pen and Sword
Field visit (JEA & GRY 28/7/2006)

 

[ back to previous page ]