GAMESON, George Henry Molyneux

Gameson, GHMSecond Lieutenant, Northumberalnd Fusiliers.

Born

1893, the only son of the late John Herbert Gameson of “Russ in Erbe”, Tiverton and of Torr House, Yealmpton, South Devon, and of Mrs Elizabeth Gameson who later became Mrs Ernest Swinnerton.

Education

St. Ronan’s, West Worthing.
Blundell’s School, from the age of 13, first a “Day Boy” then at “Westlake”.
September 1905 to Christmas 1909.

Service

At the outbreak of war he was on the staff of the Bank of England and although he sent his resignation three times in order to enlist, because he was engaged in work involving War Loans, it was not accepted. He was given a commission in the Northumberland Fusiliers but the Governor of the bank of England requested the War Office to cancel it. In January he sent three months notice to the bank and left, sacrificing his position and pension and joined the Inns of Court OTC. He obtained his commission in the Northumberland Fusiliers in November 1916 and was gazetted in December 1916. On 17th January 1917 he went to France and the first time he was in action on 14th March 1917 he was bombed going up a trench. A fellow officer risked his life to bring him to a dug-out.

Death

14th March 1917.
He died of his wounds the day of his injury.

Burial/Commemoration

Grave II. K. 7.
Queen's Cemetery, Bucquoy, Pas de Calais.

Memorial

Bucquoy is situated on the D919, Arras-Amiens road, 15 km south of Arras.
Bucquoy was taken by the 7th Division in March, 1917. The cemetery was begun in March, 1917, in what is now Plot II, Row A. The remainder of the cemetery was made after the Armistice, by the concentration of graves from small cemeteries in the neighbourhood and from the battlefields of the Ancre. Including Baillescourt Farm Cemetery at Beaucourt-Sur Ancre, Somme which had been itself made in 1917 by the V Corps in clearing the battlefields. It was in marshy ground between the Farm and the Ancre, and it contained the graves of 64 sailors and soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in the winter of 1916-17, The Farm was taken by the H.A.C. in February, 1917. Miraumont Churchyard, in which nine men of the R.F.A. and an Infantry officer were buried in February and March, 1917. River Trench Cemetery, Puisieux, made by the V Corps in 1917 in clearing the battlefields. It contained the graves of 117 officers and men, almost all of the R.N.D., who fell in February, 1917. It was in the open country between Grandcourt and Puisieux. And Triangle Cemetery Miraumont, which had been 800 metres North-East of Petit-Miraumont village on the road to Pys. This was a German cemetery containing the graves of 181 German soldiers and eight soldiers from the United Kingdom. Queens Cemetery is now the final resting place of over 700 casualties of the war.

Research

Commonwealth War Graves Commission - www.cwgc.org
Public Record Office, National Archives, Kew: WO 339/
“The Blundellian”
“The Register of Blundell's School, Part II 1882 – 1932” (1932) MAHOOD, A.S., Ed. Entry No. 5069

 

[ back to previous page ]