FOLEY, Geoffrey Robert

Lieutenant, 1st Bn., Somerset Light Infantry.

Born

1894 at Bridgwater in Somerset.
The fifth son of Robert Yarde Foley and Sarah Septima Foley, of Bush House, Spaxton, Bridgwater, Somerset.

Education

Blundell’s School, “Old House”, entering at the age of 12.
January 1907 – Summer 1911.

Career

He was apprenticed to Messrs. W. & F. Wills, engineers.

Service

He enlisted in the Somerset Light Infantry in the early days of the war and was later given a commission in the same regiment. He was wounded twice, and in February 1916 was wounded in the thigh by a shot from a sniper and was sent to the Duchess of Westminster’s Red Cross hospital at Le Touquet. He returned to France in 1917 after recovering from the second wounding. On 3rd May 1917, he was involved in the attack on Roeux Wood. Leading the attack on the left of the company, his platoon was held up by machine gun fire on the edge of the wood. He rushed in but the attack failed and was hit in the left leg just above his knee. All the officers of the company were hit in the attack. He was taken to the casualty clearing station at Aubigny en Artois and although an amputation was necessary, for some time the progress had seemed good.

Death

3rd May 1917, aged 23 years.
Died of wounds at Aubigny en Artois.

Burial/Commemoration

Grave VI. G. 10.
Lt. Foley is buried in the officer’s cemetery in Aubiguy, Pas de Calais.

Memorial

Aubigny-en-Artois is a village approximately 15 kilometres north-west of Arras on the road to St. Pol (N39)
The Cemetery lies south on a road leading from the centre of the village, with the Extension behind it. From March 1916 to the Armistice, Aubigny was held by Commonwealth troops and burials were made in the extension until September 1918. It was used by the 42nd Casualty Clearing Station for burials between 1916 and 1918. The extension now contains 2,771 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There are also 227 French burials made prior to March 1916, and 64 German war graves. The extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Research

Commonwealth War Graves Commission - www.cwgc.org
Public Record Office, National Archives, Kew WO339/  and Medal Rolls: WO372/
“The Blundellian”, June 1917 p308, and July 1917 p325
“The Register of Blundell's School, Part II 1882 – 1932” (1932) MAHOOD, A.S., Ed. Entry No.5163
“Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France” (2004) Commonwealth War Graves Commission. 12/24

 

[ back to previous page ]