DALLAS, John Sweetland (Jack)

Dallas, JSCaptain, 6th Gurkha Rifles.

Born

30th August 1885 in Simla, India.
Son of Mr. William Liscombe Dallas, ICS (Rtd) and Mrs. W. L. Dallas, of Simla, India and St. Aubyn, Tiverton. Grandson of the late Mr. W. S. Dallas FLS of London.

Education

Blundell’s School, “Day Boy”, from the age of 13 in January 1899 - Summer 1903.

Service

When he left Blundell’s he went to Sandhurst with a view to joining the Indian Army although his original intention had been to enter the Royal Engineers. He was appointed Second Lieutenant (Unattached) in January 1906 and joined the Indian Army in March 1906 becoming Lieutenant in the 6th Ghurkhas. In December 1914 he was appointed ADC to Sir Edward Norman Baker, Lieutenant Governor of Bengal and received the honorary rank of Captain. On the retirement of Sir Edward, he rejoined his regiment and on the outbreak of war, he accompanied them to Egypt in active service. He was involved in the defence of the Suez Canal but his time was chiefly spent as Musketry Instructor to Colonial Troops also brought to Egypt. Early in 1915 he was sent with his regiment to the Dardanelles and shortly afterwards was severely wounded and sent to hospital in Alexandria. He made a good recovery and on 28th June 1915 was passed as again fit for duty. He was again returned to the Front in Gallipoli and was seriously wounded in the head. He was sent back to Alexandria having lot an eye and with brain damage. He never regained consciousness.

Death

12th Sept 1915, aged 30.
Died of his wounds in hospital in Alexandria. His commanding officer wrote “The General and Colonel Bruce have spoken to me about Jack, a splendid soldier, a splendid fighter and a very brave man, to that everyone is agreed. After he was wounded he did not go home but returned to the regiment showing a magnificent example… Please tell Mr and Mrs Dallas how proud they can be of their son.”

Burial/Commemoration

Grave Q525
Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery, Alexandria Egypt

Memorial

Chatby is a district on the eastern side of the city of Alexandria, between the main dual carriageway to Aboukir (known as Al Horaya) and the sea. Chatby Military and War Memorial Cemetery (originally the Garrison cemetery) was used for burials until April 1916. Alexandria was a hospital centre, taking casualties from campaigns in the Western Desert, Greece, Crete, the Aegean Islands and the Mediterranean. Rest camps and hostels were also established there.

Research

Commonwealth War Graves Commission - www.cwgc.org
Public Record Office, Nationals Archives, Kew: WO 339/
“The Blundellian” November 1915 p200/201
“The Register of Blundell's School, Part II 1882 – 1932” (1932) MAHOOD, A.S., Ed. Entry No. 4686

 

[ back to previous page ]