AS/A2 Art and Design Fine Art

To succeed in A Level Art and Design in either specialism, GCSE Art at B grade is required as a minimum. Skills in compiling a sketchbook or creative body of work is an advantage and experience at GCSE in analysis and development of ideas are vital for success.

A Level art - portraitEarly in the first year of this two-year linear course, the students own Personal Investigation theme is chosen for which a high level of independent thinking and initiative is required. After this, the themes are addressed developing further skills in Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Printmaking and Digital Photography/Photoshop CS3 manipulation. Most importantly, the media and techniques will be relevant to the developing ideas of the student. The main focus for the course is Experimentation and Research skills. The students are encouraged to explore their own ideas and interpretations as much as possible whilst appreciating and analysing other cultures and the work of other artists. A 1500 – 3000 word investigation into an area of interest is a required element.

Keeping an exciting and up-to-date sketchbook or portfolio of evidence is fundamental to the course and a vital record for assessment. Inspiration is taken from trips to galleries (London, Exeter, Venice), workshops from visiting artists and the excellent resources facility in the dedicated Art IT suite and Library facilities. Students may also, by arrangement, use the department in study periods to further their investigations.

Coursework Portfolio evidence represents 60% of the final grade at A Level. There is a 15-hour examination project starting in the Spring Term of Year 13, which has a six-week preparation period, and represents the remaining 40%. Life drawing classes are also part of the Fine Art course and culminate in a Royal Academy day-long drawing workshop. Individual equipment bags are provided and cameras can be signed out from the department. There is an individual charge for specialist materials and A2 colour printing. Note* A Level Photography students must have their own Digital SLR camera for the course as much is required outside lesson time. See A Level Photography page on this site.

Exam Board

AQA (link)

Teaching staff

  • Fine Art: GAW and TEG - 2017 Results: 100% A*
  • Photography: TEG and KDWI - 2017 Results: 100% A*-C